Tuesday, June 16, 2020

June 16, 2020

did you miss me?

it's been a year, almost. no excuses or reasons for not posting, so let's just get on the horse and go again. at least for a while.

currently I'm making a sun tea out of some lichen I found out in the woods behind my house.
I'll let it brew today and maybe tomorrow, depending on how the "tea" looks then use it to mix up some eco friendly developer for a paper negative that i'll probably shoot in my pinhole camera. Lovely stuff!


Here's what the lichen looks like sitting out on my deck in the sun. It's rather pretty don't you think? After a good rain, and we had one yesterday, it gets soft and kind of fluffy after being brittle during the dry times. It smells like fresh air and greenery. 

The pinhole camera arrived yesterday. I found it online for a very reasonable price. It had never been used so that had to be fixed pronto.
Here it is!

It's three inches deep, so it shoots wide and is a dream to use. Nothing to break or fail. It's like a little piece of furniture. It's an f/211, so the exposures will be about 5 seconds or so in bright light with 100 ISO film sheets. Oh and yes, it uses sheet film holders which are super easy to use. I just love simple things. Especially now.  

Here's my first test shot out of it from yesterday afternoon in the back yard. 

It's nice right? The area is a place I'm clearing out that has too many scraggly little trees struggling and arguing for sunlight. It's kind of hidden away in the woods and will make a nice refuge for birds and little animal critters. Even bugs!  The shadowy area on the right of the photo was me futzing around with the shutter. I don't use a light meter and just think about the light and how the emulsion reacts to it, so initially I had the shutter open for 8 seconds...then decided to reopen it for a little longer since it was shady and let it grab 5 more seconds of the forest.

so that's it for my first day back blogging here. Come back once it a while to see what's going on.
Thank you!

2 comments:

  1. Nice to see the palomino back in the pasture. I look forward to your lichen adventure.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Some years ago (er, 25) we were trying to capture sun´s unfiltered spectrum in the manner of Newton. We had a west facing louvre window and covered it with a plywood sheet into which a small hole had been cut to let pass a beam of sunlight. A side effect was to transform the entire room into a pinhole camera, the entire scene outside cast on the opposing wall, upside down of course.

    ReplyDelete