Thursday, July 11, 2013

bats in my belfry....

I don't actually have a belfry, but I do have bats living out in the wood room behind the house.

This of course has absolutely nothing to do with pinhole, but as I was reading about bats this afternoon, it seems that they can squeeze into openings smaller than a dime depending upon the species.
Around these parts we have Mexican Freetails and since they are small little critters, they can probably live just about anywhere.

The moral of this story is, I probably won't be building any pinhole cameras with openings the size of dimes.




Today's pinhole was made with a Jasmin tea tin I purchased at the Talin International Market in Albuquerque.  It's a nice round cylinder that was just begging to be a pinhole camera, so after bringing it home and dumping the aromatic tea in another container, I spray painted the interior flat black with Krylon (my paint of choice) and then drilled a teeny .012" hole in the side.

A sheet of 4 x 5  Harman direct positive photo paper fits inside nicely!
The exposer was 2 minutes in bright Sun.  I developed the sheet in some home brew caffenol.

Hmmm....caffenol is pretty stinky....I wonder if it will make the bats leave if I left some out in the wood room.

I'll experiment later as it's nesting time for bats and I don't want them to abandon any little ones if there happen to be any out back.

1 comment: