Sunday, April 21, 2013

Light leaks and all that goes with pinhole....

Arghhh!
I discovered that my homebuilt "Galiceno" pinhole camera has light leaks.  Big gaping holes of light leaking in through the seams around the front of the camera no less!

It's kind of weird too because I just decided to test it for leaks after using it today for no reason.
It wasn't that I was suspicious.  It was just because I felt the urge to check.  Psychic powers at work?  Nah!

Anyway, here's a shot I made with the leaky little critter today.

This was a 90~ second shot on expired photo paper and marinated in 3 day old caffenol for about 4 minutes.
Looking at the development, I'd say the caffenol is expired!!

You really can't tell that the camera leaks, but what the heck.  I think some things are just mysterious that way, and that's okay with me.

BTW- For the folks that have asked, I don't pre-flash my paper.  Never have, never will.  I'm a "what will be, will be" type and like to let most things have their own karma without me controlling it.  It's probably why I love pinhole so much.  A lot happens that I don't control and I don't want to alter that magic.

Sure I'm trapping light in a box, but the subtleties of how that light changes and if I'm really on my game of "being" the emulsion that day are going well, then sure I'm in control.

I just don't hold the reins very tight.


1 comment:

  1. I still like this image, the mottled appearance lends it a mysterious look.

    ReplyDelete