Monday, January 6, 2014

it's the Year of the Horse

...well not officially until January 31 when the Chinese New Year begins, and then it's the Year of the Horse!

This bodes well for a blog named "Palomino Pinhole"!  Don't you think?

I've been in love with horses since before I could walk.  My grandfather had Quarter Horses and briefly raced one at a dirt track in Crosby, Texas.

If I could go back in time, I would take my camera and make photos of that place, which is long, long gone. It's a pity too because I have vivid memories of it, the smell, the dust and the people leaning against the old wooden rail fence as the horses ran by.

The horse my grandfather raced was named "Trusty" and she was a beauty.  After her racing days were done, I used to ride her around my grand parents farm in East Texas.  They had 101 acres of lush pasture for their dairy cows and I was free to ride anywhere I liked as long as there was no cow chasing going on.
Ah, those were the days...

Anyway, enough nostalgia.  Let's get on to the pinhole photo...

Today's offering is of the road that goes into Monument Valley.  I love this view...it's iconic and I never tire of seeing it or especially being here looking down upon the mittens in the distance.  No, it doesn't have anything to do with horses, but I'm sure horses played a big role in the life of the Navajo that live out here before motorized vehicles came long.

Holga converted to pinhole.




No comments:

Post a Comment